PLEASE NOTE BEFORE APPLYING PRODUCT
Vettec products are best used between 65° and 85° F (18° to 29° C). Temperature will affect the set time.
See Cold & Hot Conditions below.
Areas of wetness or bleeding should not be covered. Once healed, commence using products.
Sole-Guard can be applied with the shoe on or off, but will bond to the shoe. A coating of oil or petroleum jelly to the top of shoe will prevent this from occurring. Take care not to get any on the area of the hoof being repaired.
Product may not bond to hooves that have been heavily treated with products containing: oils, grease, pine tar, etc. In these stances a light denatured alcohol scrub and drying should be performed to ensure adhesion.
The following procedures are best-accomplished wearing latex or rubber gloves.
Do not burn or “Hot Shoe” this product.
Use only Vettec mixing tips.
COLD CONDITIONS (Below 65° F)
- Failure to keep the hooves, shoes, and product warm will dramatically slow the cure time. Example: At 32° F the initial cure time advances to 2 minutes.
- Do not microwave the cartridge or place it in water. Store the cartridges in an insulated “cooler” warmed with microwavable heat pads or 1 to 2 tightly capped gallon jugs filled with hot water.
- In freezing temperatures, 32° F or less, the shoes must be warmed to keep condensation from forming on them and preventing the bond.
HOT CONDITIONS (Above 85° F)
- Product will set very quickly. To slow the set time, if needed store the material in an insulated cooler with 1 or 2 freezer packs.
- NOTE: During hot weather conditions, product may cure at a higher temperature. If applying close to sensitive tissue, product may be applied in layers to reduce heat.
- Open the cartridge. Insert cartridge into dispensing gun, label side up.
- Before attaching the mixing tip, equalize the cartridge by squeezing out a small amount to ensure that both sides are dispensing evenly.
- Attach a mixing tip by pressing and twisting clockwise.
- When finished, do not release the pressure with the lever on the back of the dispenser. Remove the mixing tip immediately, discard and apply the cap. The pressure can now be released. Extra caps are available from your dealer, if needed.
- For additional applications, re-equalize the cartridge and attach a new tip.
- Trim and balance the hoof and conservatively pare out the sole removing only that sole which will exfoliate in the next 2-3 weeks.
- Using a hoof knife trim and clean the frog, bars and commissures. Remove all loose sole and dirt with a wire brush.
- Pay special attention to the bars. The bars should not be lying over onto the sole as this could cause a pressure point. If the bars are lying down, trim them back to proper position.
- NOTE: Only if hoof is oily, wipe the affected areas with a cloth moistened with denatured alcohol being careful not to saturate the hoof. Do not use acetone!
- Have all materials ready (including contouring plastic and prepare the cartridges) before proceeding to the next step.
- Holding sole upward dry hoof thoroughly using a heat gun for 30-45 seconds. Do not overheat. Keep heat source approximately 6 inches away from sole. NOTE: All hooves contain natural moisture and must be dried exactly in the manner described above. This step is critical for the product to achieve the appropriate bond to the sole.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE 1 - (Always work on a flat, hard surface if possible)
- After drying: hold the hoof as flat and level as possible, place and hold Contouring Plastic (REF #46904) at toe and dispense Sole-Guard at frog allowing material to flow towards the toe.
- Fill the foot with Sole-Guard just short of the white line. Do not fill above the level of the wall.
- When desired amount of material is applied, firmly press Contouring Plastic over the sole towards the heel creating a slight “cup” in the Sole-Guard material.
- Hold the foot up for 1 minute and then set down on a level surface.
- Remove contouring plastic after 10 minutes, peeling from the heel to the toe and trim any excess material with hoof knife.
- Leave horse tied up or return to stall for approximately 30-60 minutes, do not turn out right away.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE 2 - (For large feet with deep commissures)
- As a “shock absorber” add a thin layer of Equi-Pak, Equi Pak|CS or Equi-Pak|Soft to the commissures before dispensing Sole-Guard onto the sole. Continue with procedure above.
- Continue applying using application procedure 1 above.
EMERGENCY/TRAIL RIDING APPLICATION PROCEDURE
NOTE: (Sole-Guard may only bond to the foot for 2-3 days when applied in this manner)
- Wire-brush the sole and frog removing all dirt and debris.
- Dry the sole and frog using clean rag or towel.
- Apply as above using either application procedure 1 or 2.
Sole-Guard Application Photos
- Dispense Sole-Guard onto a clean, dry sole.
- Use contouring plastic to flatten and smooth material.
- Sets in 30 seconds and is weight bearing after 1 min.
- Complete foot protection and support.
For professional use only. Keep out of reach of children.