PLEASE NOTE BEFORE APPLYING PRODUCT
- Vettec products are best used between 65° and 85° F (18° to 29° C). Temperature will affect the set time.
See Cold & Hot Conditions below.
- Areas of wetness or bleeding should not be covered. Once healed, commence using products.
- Adhere™ can be applied with the shoe on or off, but will bond to the shoe. A coating of oil or petroleum jelly to the top of shoe will prevent this from occurring. Take care not to get any on the area of the hoof being repaired.
- Product may not bond to hooves that have been heavily treated with products containing: oils, grease, pine tar, etc. In these instances a light denatured alcohol scrub and drying should be performed to ensure adhesion.
- The following procedures are best-accomplished wearing latex or rubber gloves.
- Do not burn or “Hot Shoe” this product.
- Use only Vettec mixing tips.
COLD CONDITIONS (Below 65° F)
- Failure to keep the hooves, shoes, and product warm will dramatically slow the cure time. Example: At 32° F the cure time advances to 7-8 minutes.
- Do not microwave the cartridge or place it in water. Store the cartridges in an insulated “cooler” warmed with microwavable heat pads or 1 to 2 tightly capped gallon jugs filled with hot water.
- In freezing temperatures, 32° F or less, the shoes must be warmed to keep condensation from forming on them and preventing the bond.
HOT CONDITIONS (Above 85° F)
- Product will set very quickly. To slow the set time, if needed store the material in an insulated cooler with 1 or 2 freezer packs.
- NOTE: During hot weather conditions, product may cure at a higher temperature. If applying close to sensitive tissue, product may be applied in layers to reduce heat.
- Open the cartridge. Insert cartridge into dispensing gun, label side up.
- Before attaching the mixing tip, equalize the cartridge by squeezing out a small amount to ensure that both sides are dispensing evenly.
- Attach a mixing tip by pressing and twisting clockwise.
- When finished, do not release the pressure with the lever on the back of the dispenser. Remove the mixing tip immediately, discard and apply the cap. The pressure can now be released. Extra caps are available from your dealer, if needed.
- For additional applications, re-equalize the cartridge and attach a new tip.
- Trim and balance the hoof capsule as normal. Remove any weak or unattached hoof wall & clean out the white line area if compromised.
- NOTE: Only if hoof is oily, wipe the affected areas with a cloth moistened with denatured alcohol being careful not to saturate the hoof. Do not use acetone!
- Have all materials ready before proceeding to the next step.
- Dry hoof thoroughly using a heat gun for 30-45 seconds. Do not overheat. Keep heat source approximately 6 inches away from sole. NOTE: All hooves contain natural moisture and must be dried exactly in the manner described above. This step is critical for the product to achieve the appropriate bond to the hoof.
- Clips are highly recommended for stability and accurate placement of the shoe. Have clips set before gluing.
- Drill a 5/16” hole between the second and third nail holes of both branches, beveled on the groundside. If possible, enlarge the other nail holes also using a drill or pritchel.
- Grind or rasp the top of the shoes to remove oxidation and roughen the surface. Clean with denatured alcohol to remove oil, grease, slag, dirt, and dry thoroughly.
- Place 3 to 4 Adhesive-Spacers (REF #46025) or pieces of wooden matchsticks around the web of the shoe to maintain approximately 1/8” space for Adhere. Optional: Apply Duct tape to the last 1” to 1 1/2” of the branches. This will prevent Adhere from locking the heels. NOTE: If the horse is in hard work or you are not using clips we suggest placing one nail on each side of the shoe to counter the side to side shear forces.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE - GLUEING ON SHOES
- Apply Adhere to the shoe approximately 3/8’’ thick and the width of the shoe.
- Quickly and accurately place the shoe. Hold the shoe stable for 1 minute.
- Keep the hoof elevated taking care not to move the shoe for 4 minutes until the Adhere cures. HINT: If the horse will not give you 4 minutes, securely wrap the hoof and set down gently. Remove wrap later.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE - HOOF REPAIR
- Follow hoof preparations instructions above.
- Trim, rasp, balance, and clean the hoof around the damaged area.
- Using a hoof knife or Dremel™ tool, rout out the damaged areas.
- Create an undercut on the hoof wall.
- Protect the coronary band with hoof tape or damp gauze.
- Clean and thoroughly dry the prepped area per instructions. If wet conditions exist, horse should be stalled overnight with dry bedding.
- Dispense Adhere directly into damaged area over-filling around the repair and onto sound hoof wall. Do not feather or "thin-out" the material around the edges. This will slow the set time and can lead to failure. Contouring Plastic (REF #46904) can be utilized to push the material into the void, being careful not to feather the material. Leave in place until Adhere cures and then peel off.
- Allow a working time of 1 minute for shaping and molding.
- Allow 7 to 8 minutes for a full cure and then shape by trimming and rasping toward the hoof.
- Nail shoe on. Nails will penetrate without damaging the repair.
- If necessary, after rasping and shoeing, fill any voids or holes
For professional use only. Keep out of reach of children.